Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions & Goat Cheese
This is the perfect accompaniment to the ribs just posted. Of course you can always make the perfect, "normal" mashed potatoes, but these add a twist to those and will give a little flare to your side dish! Enjoy!
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
1.5 lbs. yellow onion (2 large onions), thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. sugar
3 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1.5 cups half and half
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
3 oz. goat cheese
1. Heat 2 tbsp. butter and the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and stir them to coat. Add 1/4 tsp. salt and the sugar, stirring frequently until onions are golden brown, about 30-40 minutes. If the onions get too dry, add just a bit of water.
2. Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, heat the half and half, garlic, bay leaf, and remaining 2 tbsp. of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
4. Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot, dry pot. Stir them over low heat for 2 minute until they are dry. Pour the hot cream mixture a little at a time and mash (manually or with an immersion blender).
5. Set aside a small amount of caramelized onions for garnish and mix the remainder into the potatoes. Crumble the goat cheese into the potatoes and stir to combine.
6. Transfer to bowl and add salt & pepper to taste.