You have heard me mention Kelsey before, well this is straight from her kitchen prepared by her and Meg's loving hands for Caitlin's birthday potluck. They made this perfect meal to also introduce us to an amazing partnership she just created between the Arthritis Foundation and The Celebrated Chefs cookbook. Chefs from some of Seattle's most well-known restaurants have banned together to compile some of their best recipes. When you follow a few easy steps when purchasing the cookbook, eating out becomes philanthropic every time. Here's how it works; when you purchase a cookbook, you register your credit card and choose your favorite non-profit, then when you eat out at any of the participating restaurants 5% of your bill goes towards that non-profit you have chosen. The Arthritis Foundation was my choice, not just because of Kelsey, but because it is an amazing organization that truly touches millions (including the 10,000 children effected this year)! I hope you make this delicious recipe, but I really hope you check out the cookbook and maybe buy it to have your weekly philanthropic moments too.
Dungenous Crab Mac 'n Cheese
from Celebrated Chefs
12 oz. penne pasta
8 to 10 oz. Dungeness crab meat
1 quart heavy cream
4 oz. cheddar cheese, cubed (we used mild)
4 oz. american cheese, cubed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup panko (Japanese - style breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 450*
2. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil. Add the penne and boil over medium-high heat until just tender but still with a bit of bite, about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
3. Pick over the crab meat to remove any bits of shell.
4. Put the cream in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the cream has reduced by about 1/2, careful to not let it boil over, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add both cheeses, and stir until the cheese is fully melted, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
5. Gently fold in the cooked pasta and crabmeat, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Stir together the panko and butter in a small bowl until well blended.
7. Spoon the macaroni and cheese into 6-ounce ramekins or small baking dishes and sprink the panko bread crumbs on top. Set the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until the crumbs are lightly browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.