When Chad introduced this casserole to me has his all time favorite breakfast when away on a weekend at the cabin I was skeptical. I thought, "it's just going to taste like all the rest," but in fact I do think it's delicious too! The sherry really brings out the flavors and the different kinds of cheeses add to the texture. It's worth making for a weekend away as you can pre-make it and then store it in the fridge until you are ready to throw it in the oven. It's sure to fill up the masses bellys! Enjoy:)
Chad's Favorite Breakfast Casserole
from his Mom's kitchen
About 8 or so pieces of white bread
1 lb. sausage (I use lo-fat Jimmy Dean in the tube package)
Salt and Pepper
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup sherry
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 lb sauteed mushrooms
1/4 cup green onions
1/2 cup grated Cheddar
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
1. Layer the bread in a 9 inch pre-greased (I used Pam) baking pan.
2. Fry the sausage and pour over the bread.
3. Whip all of the eggs, mushroom soup, add salt and pepper to taste and pour over mixture.
4. Combine all other ingredients, mix well and pour over dish evenly.
5. At this point you can put it in the fridge to use within the next two days, freeze it, or immediately bake.
6. Bake at 350* F. for about 45 minutes - depending on the oven I've had to bake up to 55 minutes to make sure it was fully cooked.
It is delicious and will make enough to feed up to 8 people!