I invited Chad over for a home-cooked meal as this recipe was too good to pass-up. I tried a sample of it at Metropolitan Market one night while shopping (they actually have a cooking station where they make a recipe every night for you to try while shopping) and I almost bought the ingredients on the spot! I finally went back to purchase all the ingredients since craving it the entire week thinking Chad would love it just as much as I did. It just so happened that Kelsey S. had texted me earlier that day asking to hang out, so we decided to make dinner for 3! Below are a couple pictures of the night - one of Chad helping me in the kitchen and one of my two happy campers right as we sat down to eat. This recipe was honestly loved by all and I would and will make it again! Enjoy:)
Vietnamese Salmon Salad with Mango, Chiles, and Mint
from Real Food Magazine
1 pound salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, minced (I deseeded and deveined and it still had a kick)
- 4 cups-napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 large mango, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup mint leaves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
1. In a zipper bag or bowl, mix the marinade ingredients, then put the salmon in the 2 tbsp. of the mixture and turn to coat. Marinate 30 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients, the remaining marinade, lime juice, sugar, shallots, and jalepeno.
3. Spread the salad over a serving platter. Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat, and when hot, swirl with oil.
4. Place salmon in the pan, skin side up, and let cook for 3 minutes, then turn. Cook until the fish flakes easily and is barely opaque in the center, about 2 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet. Place the warm salmon on the greens and drizzle dressing over it all. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve!