from Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
1 cup chopped pecans
1 yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) pkg. instant French vanilla pudding
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup dark rum
1. Preheat oven to 375* F
2. Grease and flour a Bundt pan
3. Sprinkle the chopped pecan pieces on the bottom of the Bundt pan
4. In a large bowl combine cake mix, instant French vanilla pudding, eggs, water, oil, and rum
5. Beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes or beat by hand with a whisk until smooth and satiny and there are no more lumps
6. Pour batter evenly over the pecan pieces into the bundt pan.
7. Bake the rum cake for 1 hour at 375* F
8. During the last 15 minutes of baking make the rum glaze. In a medium sauce pan, place the stick of butter, water, sugar, and rum for the glaze and stir until the glaze comes to a rolling boil and all of the sugar is dissolved. Let cool slightly for a few minutes.
9. When the cake is done baking, let it cool slightly a few minutes and turn out the cake by inverting it onto a large plate.
10. Poke holes in the side and top of the cake with a fork.
11. With a ladle, begin pouring the glaze over the hot cake, covering it so that the glaze begins soaking into the cake.
12. Once the glaze has soaked in, flip the cake back into the Bundt pan, poke more holes in it and continue to ladle the glaze onto the rum cake.
13. Throughout the day, continue to keep ladling the glaze over the cake until it cannot absorb any more glaze. Continue this process until all of the glaze is used up. This may take a few hours.
Begin making this rum cake recipe in the morning if you want to serve it for the evening dessert. This cake will taste even better if you make it a day ahead, as the flavors will have time to mellow.