First, let me start by apologizing. I have been a HUGE slacker - I've been great about cooking at home and making some favorites, but not sharing. I attribute lack of time to probably working way too much as I'm helping to plan a foodie extravaganza. Mark your calendars - Voracious Tasting - 4/14 - The Paramount! 40 of Seattle's most well-known restaurants, 10 of Seattle's best mixologists from your favorite bars, a Local-Chef Showdown emceed by Tom Douglas, Live Music, and more...all for, $25! Spread the word - as a foodie myself, I can assure you - you won't want to miss it! Here's the link for more information and to buy tickets - seattleweekly.com/voracioustasting.
Ok -- now back to business....here's a recipe I'm glad to share. My sister Laurie (who is the Vegetarian Hausfrau), my cousin Skye and I have been working to put together a family cookbook. It's a ton of work, but what's amazing is that we've been able to make some of our family's best kept secret recipes that we've all agreed should be shared. Here is a recipe from my Uncle Barrett, just delicious!
Uncle B's Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
6-8 Dried California/Ancho or Pasilla Chilis (these are in the Mexican food aisle)
3 cups hot water
1/2 cup tomatoe sauce/paste
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 cup salad oil (you can find this by the Olive Oils)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1. Heat the chilis on broil until they start smelling. Remove and cut the stems and open them up to remove all of the seeds
2. Place the chilis in 3 cups of hot water for 1 hour and put aside
3. After an hour place all remaining ingredients into a pan. Let simmer while you put the chilis and water into a cuisanart/blender. Remove and run it through a strainer over the pot. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
1 bag of your choice Tortillas
3 large Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 lb. Monterey Jack Cheese
1 bunch of green onions chopped
Handful of fresh cilantro chopped
1 tsp. Cumin
1 4oz. can of green chilis
1. Microwave the chicken until just done. Cut into cubes and put in mixing bowl.
2. Add the green onions, chopped cilantro, chilis, and cumin. Mix well.
3. Place the sauce in the casserole pan.
4. Take the tortillas and microwave for 20 seconds each. Then fill with chicken mix and roll. Fill the pan with sauce once they've been rolled and cover with grated cheese.
5. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes at 350*