Over the past year I've been partaking in a monthly game of Bunco with some girlfriends. It gives me the opportunity to break out my competitive nature and hang out with an amazing group of women who also enjoy cooking and drinking wine. Last month Stephanie (otherwise known as one of the world's best moms) made these Black Bean Burgers and well, I had to make them again! If you are a meat eater, like me, these will make you contemplate a veggie patty next time you are planning on making burgers at home. They are inexpensive, delicious, and easy to make for a group. To top the night off Stephanie unveiled her Bunco prizes - aprons she had hand sewn (seriously, world's best mom's club).
Spiced Black Bean Burgers
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tbsp plus 1/2 cup bottled chunky salsa
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (Steph's suggestion)
1 chili powder (Steph's suggestion)
2 whole wheat hamburger buns
Condiments: avocado, sour cream and/or cheese
1. With a fork mash the beans in a medium bowl
2. Add the onion, breadcrumbs, salsa, cumin, Tabasco, garlic powder, and chili powder
3. Form into pattys (I was able to get 4 pattys out of this recipe, even though it says only 2 on epicurious).
4. Grill on the stove top just until warmed through
5. Toast the bun and add avocado, salsa, and sour cream.