My sister's (The Vegetarian Hausfrau) husband planned a trip away to this small town near Ocean Shores called Seabrook for the family this last weekend. I couldn't stop saying that I felt like I was in a parallel universe the entire time. If you've ever seen the movie Pleasantville, this is likely where it was filmed, no joke. We made smores, went walking along the beach, played H.O.R.S.E., ping pong, and rested. It was really nice after the past few weekends I've had away partying it up to "California Gurls" and "Teenage Dream." Everyone was assigned a meal to make and of course I was in charge of Saturday's dinner (the night we had planned to celebrate Laurie's bday) - pressure! Laurie requested Mozzarella Sticks and forwarded me this recipe from one of our favorite blogs, The Pioneer Woman. My only regret, not making more. These were delicious and will easily be on my list of appetizers to make during the upcoming football season! Enjoy:)
from the Pioneer Woman's blog
2 cups Panko bread crumbs (I used a different brand from PCC, but Panko is the most common brand)
15 Mozzarella sticks (otherwise known as string cheese - cut in half)
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of milk
2 tbsp. dried parsley
4-5 tbsp. vegetable oil (about 1/2 inch deep in the pan)
1. In 3 separate bowls set-up;
a. 1 cup of flour
b. 2 eggs and milk whisked together
c. bread crumbs and parsley mixed
2. Take each halved string cheese and dip in the flour first, then the egg mixture, and lastly the bread crumbs. Then set aside onto a baking sheet.
3. Put the baking sheet of prepared Cheese Sticks into the freezer for 20-30 minutes. This step is very important!! It'll help the Mozzarella not get too hot when you fry them and help the bread crumbs stay together when you drop them in the oil.
4. After 30 minutes, begin heating about 4-5 tbsp. of oil in a pan on medium heat. Trick**When the oil is sitting in the pan, you won't know if it's hot enough to fry in, but once you think it's ready place a wooden spoon into the oil. If small bubbles (boiling) around the spoon occur, it's ready to fry!
5. Place each Mozzarella stick into the oil and flip when it begins to brown. They'll each be in the oil for about 2 1/2 minutes. Pull each and place on a plate with a paper towel.
6. Pull the paper towel and arrange, pour a bowl of Marinara for dipping and serve! Delicious!