The picture is actually two different scones - Strawberry Oatmeal Scones and Blueberry Scones. Both delicious! I'll share the Strawberry Oatmeal Scones first with you as they were really my favorite. I made these for a brunch I held a while ago and liked them so much I plan to make them again for my dad's birthday brunch I'm hosting this weekend. I'd like to say breakfast/brunch is my favorite meal, but then I'd be ignoring all of the other delicious foods I love to make. So, instead of saying it's my favorite, I'd like to categorize it as "I'm a huge fan of what it provides for my day's mood." For instance, if you start your day with a delicious breakfast you tend to have a productive, energized day. I enjoy that that's how breakfast makes me feel and especially when these scones are incorporated! Food for thought....enjoy your day!
Strawberry Oatmeal Scones
from lbrookscooks blog
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
10 tbsp. (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 400*
2. Whisk the egg, buttermilk, and lemon zest together in a small bowl.
3. In another bowl mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the cold butter pieces into the dry mixture and blend with your hands (it'll help soften the butter to use your hands).
5. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry/butter mixture and stir together just to incorporate.
6. Gently mix in the chopped strawberries.
7. The dough will be very sticky, but turn it over onto a floured surface and roll into an inch thick round. Then cut into wedges.
8. Transfer to a baking sheet lined by parchment paper and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.