A while ago I posted the Strawberry Oatmeal Scones that are pictured with these Blueberry Scones. Both were delicious, but these blueberry scones stood out as adding a great sweet, zesty touch to the table. I'm actually not the biggest fan of scones - typically they are too dry for me, but these really were standouts to my normal perception! I watched them carefully while baking to ensure they didn't dry out, also the lemon glaze that was drizzled over the top kept in all moisture to ensure a perfect scone that lasted even a couple days after first serving! Needless to say, these and the Strawberry Oatmeal recipe from an earlier post were a perfect combo! Enjoy!!
from Mehan's Kitchen blog
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing the scones
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 lemon, zest finely grated
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Sift together the dry ingredients; the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
3. Using a fork mix the butter into the dry mixture (it'll eventually look like crumbs).
4. Make a well in the center and pour in the heavy cream. Fold everything together to incorporate and then fold in the blueberries.
5. Press the dough onto a floured surface and into a large rectangle about 1" thick. Then cut into diagonal triangle scones.
6. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush with heavy cream. Then bake for 15-20 minutes.
7. Let the scones cool as you put together the lemon glaze.
8. Mix the lemon juice and sugar in a microwaveable bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
9. Add the lemon zest and butter. Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk again and then brush over the scones.
10. Eat up!